Re: Landing process, restoring "trunk" for development

Hi Alberto,

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 09:48:45PM +0300, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> This makes a lot of sense. However there are some times (and the current
> one is one of those) where a wider gap is IMHO legitimate: when the
> current development release is in feature freeze and the new development
> release hasn't yet opened, I would expect that trunk continues to
> progress but no new releases are made.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if you're talking here about the 14.04
Feature Freeze, please note that there is a blanket feature freeze exception
for phone-specific packages; the Ubuntu feature freeze should not be
blocking progress on the trunk for the phone.

And if you're referring to some other feature freeze related to the CI
Train, well, if a feature freeze is declared for the phone itself then it
must be for a reason and I don't think it's a good idea to route around such
a freeze by developing on a branch instead without the benefit of any of the
CI infrastructure.  Either there's a feature freeze and the team is supposed
to be focused on bugfixes; or landing of features is allowed and we should
make sure the team isn't blocked from doing so.  But letting branches pile
up for integration $later is just accumulating technical debt with respect
to the trunk.

slangasek@xxxxxxxxxx                                     vorlon@xxxxxxxxxx