Re: Landing team 09.04.14

On 04/10/2014 07:52 AM, Jamie Strandboge wrote:
> On 04/09/2014 06:54 PM, Luke Yelavich wrote:
>>>>
>>> Oxide fix is in a ppa and a silo is being negotiated. Once landed, will require
>>> touch images to install oxideqt-codecs-extra. This should also be added to
>>> ubuntu-restricted-extras.
>>
>> Are you aware that chromium uses ffmpeg directly, i.e no gstreamer? For mp3 and audio codecs this wouldn't be a problem, but if a user tries to play an HTML 5 video in the browser, video rendering will be choppy or non-existant on touch, because hardware acceleration is not being used, that is at least if ffmpeg doesn't have support for using libstagefright/hybris...
>>
> Yes. You'd be surprised how well the software codecs actually work (this is
> Google's embedded fork of ffmpeg and they could very well be using
> hybris/stagefight-- I haven't personally checked), but even if they worked
> perfectly, the app is still subject to application lifecycle and so this is a
> poor user experience.

FYI, talking with Chris, videos are rendered by the GPU and decoded in software.

> The lack of gstreamer/media-hub is this bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/oxide-qt/+bug/1249387
>
> I plan to discuss short term solutions now.

Discussing with Pat, we will ship -extra on touch until LP: #1249387 is fixed,
which is marked High priority. This will make grooveshark, et al work again and
make the image promotable. Usability will be fixed when 1249387.