Re: [Development] anti-theft

On ĵaŭ, 2014-04-10 at 21:50 -0430, Yasmany Cubela Medina wrote:
> I live in a country (venezuela) where the index theft its very high,
> but even in other countries its a problem that will be presented in
> some times.

I've been thinking about something along these lines too. Though, my
thoughts were to make it independent of any online service.

So, you could have a secret pass phrase, and if your phone is
lost/stolen, you would be able to send a text message to your phone
(from any other phone) containing the pass phrase.

When the phone receives this text message, it would automatically reply,
with a generated URL, which would open a webpage with a live update of
the phone's position (overlayed on OSM).

This means you are not necessarily dependent on a 3rd party service,
your data is not being shared with anyone else, and the phone only
starts tracking and transmitting its position once you send the secret
phrase.
	This also means you can immediately start finding your phone moments
later, by borrowing any other smartphone that is handy.