Core Apps Update 2014-04-18

2014-04-18

After a long weekend away from the computer, it's time for a regular
core apps update!

I guess everyone heard by now that Ubuntu 14.04 LTS shipped on
2014-04-17. This included an image of Ubuntu for phones and tablets
with our core apps baked in. Last week we pushed a few last minute
updates to some apps before the release. The train keeps rolling
though and we'll be delivering updates to all the core apps via the
app store.

We also discovered some issues with core apps running in the Unity 8
preview session in 14.04, and those were fixed by Olli Reis and
Nekhelesh Ramananthan, thanks guys!

David Planella has setup the "Core Apps Sponsoring" page which we're
using to track outstanding merge requests. It refreshes frequently,
and has an awful lot of red statuses! There's a lot of them, and some
are quite old. We could do with some help keeping this list in order.
  http://people.canonical.com/~dpm/core-apps-sponsoring/

This week we've also been working with the Continuous Integration team
on a new workflow for core apps being delivered to the store fully
automatically, after being fully tested on both desktop and devices.
We selected Clock and Music as apps to pilot the new process, which
should increase velocity of core apps arriving in the store, improve
testing turn-around time and reduce human interaction. I am being
replaced by a very small shell script*  :)

* ..and a lot of infrastructure to run it.

== Reminders ==

* We have new designs for the Reminders App and are seeking developers
to help implement them. If you're interested in getting into QML
development, get in contact with me and I'll get you started.
* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1303763 - File: qml/reminders.qml
does not exist at any of the standard paths!
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1304879 - Fail to run build from
trunk on desktop

== Music ==

* The Music app devs had another week of UI updates and polish!
* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1307007 - When last item in queue is
removed blurred background doesn't reset
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1306845 - Blurred background stays
pink for the default cover art regardless of what's playing
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1308042 - Inconsistent horizontal
alignment for Music and Album tab cover art labels
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1300911 - Unity 8 Desktop Preview
session can not launch apps wrapped in a shell script
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1308048 - On a Nexus 4 it is not
immediately obvious that the horizontal listviews can be scrolled
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1251630 - playlist is not advanced
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1300166 - Playing tracks in shuffle
doesn't show right track
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1307030 - Music app header is bland
in most views

== Calendar ==

* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1292076 - Delete confirmation while
deleting event.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1248125 - No marker in month view
that an event is occurring on a day.
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1289695 - Title for all Core apps
should be improved/localized for Desktop
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1300911 - Unity 8 Desktop Preview
session can not launch apps wrapped in a shell script

== Clock ==

* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1284564 - List of days in alarm view
run into time

== Weather ==

* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1298118 - After removing all the
users locations, the sheet to add a new location has text that is hard
to read
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1302728 - extremely slow scrolling
between days on manta
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1300911 - Unity 8 Desktop Preview
session can not launch apps wrapped in a shell script

== Terminal ==

* Terminal got a little Easter Egg for the holidays
http://gould.cx/ted/blog/HUD_for_the_command_line

== RSS Reader ==

* We had a problem with the Shorts Autopilot tests not working on
device which Nicholas Skaggs nailed down to a timing issue which is
now fixed. Thanks Nick!
* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1308277 - Shorts fails Autopilot
tests on mako image #297
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1300911 - Unity 8 Desktop Preview
session can not launch apps wrapped in a shell script

== File Manager ==

* File manager has a C++ plugin which was previously a separate
component, but David has attempted to merge the plugin into the

== Sudoku App ==

* Bug fixes
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1306821 - Updates in click store
Update Manager are in lower case