Toolbar to header transition

Hello all,

Probably you saw the blog posts on design.canonical.com about the new
header and bottom edge:
http://design.canonical.com/2014/03/new-apps-header/
http://design.canonical.com/2014/03/loving-the-bottom-edge/
for this to work, we need some changes in the ubuntu-ui-toolkit. In this
e-mail I will give a short overview of how we are bringing you these
changes.

Currently there is a useDeprecatedToolbar property in MainView that
disables the toolbar when unset (default value is true),
see file:///usr/share/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/doc/html/qml-ubuntu-components-mainview.html#useDeprecatedToolbar-prop
(included in the ubuntu-ui-toolkit-doc package, the online docs are not
up-to-date with this change yet). Even though there is no replacement for
the functionality of the toolbar yet, setting useDeprecatedToolbar to false
makes the bottom edge available for experiments.

Next we will introduce the following changes to the header:
- Replace the current tab bar by a drawer button in the left of the header
that opens a popover that lists the tabs
- Move the back button to the header
- Show actions in the header
- Introduce new API for defining the layout of the header and the actions
in it

These changes are being introduced step-by-step, and only when
useDeprecatedToolbar is set to false, so that existing apps without changes
will not break any functionality. I expect the first version of the tabs in
the drawer to land next week, and the back button and actions in the header
in May.

Let me know if you have questions or suggestions.

Greets,
Tim.

Follow ups