Status update - Webapps Team - April 24

*

Status Update - WebApps Team - April 24

Quick status update after the last weeks spent on preparing the LTS release.

The focus was mostly on landing the new Oxide-based webapps. A huge thanks to all involved, and in particular the extraordinaire Chris Coulson for the Oxide runtime*.*

Webapps Stack

Full switch to Oxide on Touch and Desktop. Phone apps are transparently migrated to the Oxide runtime when they declare a dependency on the new 14.04 framework. 13.10 apps keep on using qtwebkit and the older UbuntuWebView release

Fix for the infamous launcher icon issues (double icons, unresponsive ones); we removed most of the dead code in webapps & bamf, and disabled support for action menus to get to a stable state.

Addition of navigation support and containment to Oxide: this lets a user stay safely within the confines of a webapp, or switch to using the browser for external links

User-agent overrides support for desktop webapps

Fixes to make Google Apps for Business usable in the initial release. Stay tuned to bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/webbrowser-app/+bug/1302780if you use such apps (we certainly do!)

HTML5 SDK

After the major update of our SDK for the App Showdown, we released some updates to the Content Hub API, numerous CSS and JS fixes

Also since then, 2 important new APIs are available: the Runtime API (support for App. Lifecycle signals) and Download Manager API (pending publication approval).

Recent Cordova updates to File API, in preparation for the next 3.5 release.

Online Accounts

Update of our Facebook API key in Trusty and 13.10 to maintain support for FB integration in Desktop apps; also a Flickr signon support update

Click Webapps

Pre-installed webapps updated to support the new Upload API (linked with the Content Hub). This lets you attach content to a Gmail message for example.

New Google Calendar webapp.

David
*