Re: Carrier Customized APN Database

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Alex Chiang <achiang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Tony Espy <espy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 04/28/2014 03:30 PM, Chris Wayne wrote:
> >> The use case for a carrier wanting their own APN database could be
> >> having a special app that they want to allow zero-tariff data usage for
> >> (e.g. their usage app, or maybe they have a deal with some site/app that
> >> all data used is free for their customers).
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand your example.  We automatically provision GPRS
> > contexts for network connnectivity and MMS support.  This provisioning is
> > SIM-specific, and the result is a number of gprs contexts created ofono's
> > gprs settings file:
>
> In this example, imagine a carrier in China where they do not have
> unlimited data plans, but rather you pay by the MB.
>
> This carrier partners with the super popular Chinese Instagram clone
> so that all data traffic on "Chinagram" is free. The carrier then
> makes an awesome advertisement about how "Chinagram" is free on their
> network and they sign up 300M new users.
>
> All traffic going to/from "Chinagram" gets routed to
> chinagram-zero-tariff.carrier.cn, whilst all other traffic goes to
> apn.carrier.cn.
>
> This is a fairly common use case. A more mundane example would be to
> send all OTA updates from a zero-tariff APN and normal traffic over
> the $ / MB APN.
>
> (btw, the Chinagram example is 100% invented... ;)

Chinagram is bringing in more issues :-)

Who will activate the context? The app itself or will it be always on?

For MMS when using two contexts, the MMS context has a MessageProxy defined
and network manager adds a host route to be able to download or upload an
MMS; how will this be defined for the app?

Will this context be editable by the user through the future UI to be?

I'm not contradicting, just expanding ;-)