Re: Customized Upstart Jobs/Overrides

hi,
Am Freitag, den 02.05.2014, 17:57 -0700 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > how about making the usage of /etc/default/ mandatory for all our own
> > services so we can easily disable them ... i assume this interface will
> > also be still usable after the systemd transition somehow since it is
> > widely used in debian and as long as the files are writable the
> > customization kit should easily be able to flick a switch in there.
>
> /etc/default should be deprecated with fire.  It is only used at all for
> upstart jobs for compatibility with pre-existing sysvinit scripts that use
> it for configuration, and is not an interface we want to use for new work.

well, we either give access to the init system itself or we add
something on top, i dont see whats wrong with using an established
system for the second option (since we do not want the first one). as i
understand it this would only be for a few select services for which we
are even upstream.

> Besides, /etc/default is also on the root fs, so this doesn't exactly
> address the problem of custom overrides.

this doesn't matter since the custom bits are copied over the existing
rootfs during upgrade while the system image is fully writable, the
customization system already allows the customizer to replace existing
files on the image by copying them from /custom as i understand it.

ciao
	oli