Re: Do you use the SDK on Saucy?

On 05/12/2014 01:23 PM, Zoltán Balogh wrote:
Hello all,

As you might know the release process of the Ubuntu SDK tools (ubuntu-sdk meta package, QtCreator and our ubuntu/cmake/remotelinux plugins) is that we push the latest improvements and bugfixes to the actively developed series (14.10 right now)

Then we backport to the Current Stable Release (14.04) and to the Supported Release (13.10) and publish the packages in the SDK PPA : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-sdk-team/+archive/ppa

Obviously the development of the QtCreator follows the Qt baseline. So when the 3.0 QtCreator migrated to the Qt 5.2 we also moved on with our plugins.

Right now 14.10 and 14.04 both has the lates Qt 5.2, but Saucy has the 5.0 Qt release.

So far we have brewed the Saucy backport of all Qt modules what is needed by the latest QtCreator and all the recent improvements/fixes in an isolated PPA: https://launchpad.net/~canonical-qt5-edgers/+archive/qt5-beta-proper?field.series_filter=saucy

This PPA was used for testing and dogfooding.

So here is the question. If you are on Saucy and want to use the latest goodies from the SDK (1) you either configure this qt5-beta-proper and I keep pushing the new UITK and the QtCreator packages to this PPA, or (2) I copy over the content of the qt5-beta-proper to the SDK PPA and keep pushing there our updates.

Neither of them is a clean and nice solution. Our target is to keep the SDK PPA clean from application runtime packages and limit its content to strictly SDK bits.

The good news is that the legwork is done already :)

I am looking forward to hear your opinion.

cheers,

Zoltan

Zoltan, it's quite important to keep things current on our current LTS, which in this case is trusty. I'm happy to see things continue to be updated via this ppa.

As for Saucy, I would encourage anyone still running it to schedule there upgrade to trusty or beyond sooner. Saucy will EOL after July of this year. That's just a couple months away.

So with that in mind, I would plan a final release to your ppa for Saucy, and depending on the complexity you are currently encountering, it might not make sense to migrate to 5.2. As I don't currently run saucy, I won't attempt to speak for any of those users, but again, would encourage folks to adopt trusty at this point to continue to get updates.

Nicholas