Re: Unity8 & Mir update May 20, 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Michał Sawicz
<michal.sawicz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On 20.05.2014 18:34, Kevin Gunn wrote:
> > But I guess your question is still valid, do we want to hold off landing
> > something that might make the sensitivity of rotation more annoying than
> > it is atm ?
>
> It won't make it more annoying, since apps rotate inside their own
> surfaces reacting to the same already. Only difference will be that the
> shell rotates as well.
>
> > I would (weakly) vote to land shell rotation independent of the
> > sensitivity bug...but we're weeks away from that, maybe it gets fixed
> prior.
>
> +1, probably even higher priority would be to add the whole system of
> orientation locking and "negotiation" with apps.

It sounds to me that we have one rotation system right now that is wrong in
a couple of ways. We have implemented and are about to embark on testing
another system for rotation that, while perhaps separate in some technical
ways, will none the less interaction with the first system at the user
experience level at a minimum.

If it were me, I would very much want to pin down the app rotation system
before landing shell rotation so I had overall less complexity and fewer
changes to cope with.

Cheers, Rick