Re: Landing team 20.05.14

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:09 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> hi,

> > > Hmm. How could we have noticed during silo testing? Do we need to
> > > improve the landing testplan for content-hub or something else?
> > This is a good example of the silo needing to have click package
> > support. Gallery is a click and depends on the newer version of
> > content-hub that was also built in the silo. Since the silo didn't build
> > the click for gallery but only the deb, we built the click for gallery
> > by hand for testing, and all worked fine as it had used the correct
> > version of content-hub. But the version of gallery click built by
> > jenkins and uploaded manually to the store used the trusty version of
> > content-hub and thus broke. The silo really needs to build both the debs
> > and clicks together such that we can actually test the full silo.
>
> so here is a letter from the ugly hacks dept. :)
>
> since i suspect it will still take a bit til PPAs have click support,
> cant we just build depend on click, have a
> override_dh_auto_build block in debian/rules that calls "click build"

this alone (click build) just tars it up fwiw ;-) (but I see the point)

> additionally and then ship the .click somewhere in
> "/usr/share/<packagename>" from where you could test install it after
> dpkg -x'ing the package in /tmp or so ...
>
> this indeed bloats the binary package a bit and should not be enabled by
> release time anymore but would give you the right deps and an easy way
> to pull the click from a silo to test it...

but you still need to build for against the click framework you provide, so
landing the content hub should of extended the API/ABI, but not broken it;
and at a later phase (once the -dev# chroot for the framework under dev has
been updated), the click package should of been built/released.