Re: system-image vs cdimage

Am Donnerstag, den 29.05.2014, 09:41 -0400 schrieb David Peter:
> Hi
>

> What is the difference between
> http://system-image.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/
>
> and
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch/
> ?

the files on cdimage are intermediate products, they should not be used
beyond hacking on the image itself or for porting to an unsupported
device, these files are the input files for [1] . think about them like
the squashfs file for the desktop isos, you would theoretically never
grab the squashfs and directly unpack it to a device but instead boot
the livecd and do an installation that does the unpacking and proper
configuration for you.

> I know how to use rootsotck-touch-install with the last cdimage but on
> wich system-image does it correspond? I am losing OTA update.
rootstock is solely for hacking on the image and porting purposes, even
porters should eventually provide a system-image server for their ports
so OTA upgrades can be offered.

> Where does come from system-image? How are they build?

the server on system-image.ubuntu.com pulls the files from cdimage and
assembles them into a proper image, generates the update delta against
the last available image for OTA and signs it  ...
while rootstock-touch-install tries to mimic this process on your PC
there is no guarantee that the result will be 100% identical  to an
install you did with ubuntu-device-flash.

ciao
	oli

[1]
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-system-image/ubuntu-system-image/server