Re: Archive management plans for phone RTM

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 12:00:23AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> Will phone RTM dates be better aligned with the Ubuntu development schedule in
> the future?

I believe this is meant to be a one-off, as the base phone product is
still heavily in development.  In the future, a new device should be
easy to enable on, say, 15.04+PPA or whatever, with the PPA bits being
rolled into 15.10, rather than having to do a heavy distro fork, as
the base 15.04 should have everything a phone needs, modulo minor HW
enablement tweaks.

In other words, this shouldn't look any different from how Canonical
OEM currently handles enablement on new Dell laptops, or whatever, by
targetting the latest LTS, and then using a thin overlay for bits they
need to temporarily fork to make it go.

... Adam