Re: Developers: changelog quality

On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 14:05 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> As one of the persons on the landing team who is in charge to nod off
> packaging changes I will from today on *NOT ACK ANY PACKAGING CHANGES*
> that do not:
>
> a) have a descriptive enough changelog entry so that a developer not
> affiliated with your code can understand what changed, why it changed
> and where it changed in the tree.

Can we fix the CI train so that it doesn't reformat multi-line commit
messages in the MP into a single very long line of very hard to read
text?

Also, how does one get reasonable changelog entries that follow the
Debian style? It seems with CI train, we don't get very nice
debian/changelog entries. For example, for a manual upload to bump the
Standards-version, a typical entry would be like this:

  * debian/control:
    - Update standards version to 3.9.5.

But with Ci train, depending on what is put in the commit message field
of the MP, we might get something like this:

  * - Update standards version to 3.9.5.

Or if there are other changes:

  * - Update standards version to 3.9.5. - Add dependency on
foo-bar-dev.

It would be nice if we could get changelog entries that more closely
match the classic manual upload changelog entries, for the automated
builds.