Re: Developers: changelog quality

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 05.06.2014, 10:34 -0400 schrieb Rodney Dawes:

> Also, how does one get reasonable changelog entries that follow the
> Debian style? It seems with CI train, we don't get very nice
> debian/changelog entries. For example, for a manual upload to bump the
> Standards-version, a typical entry would be like this:
>
>   * debian/control:
>     - Update standards version to 3.9.5.
>
> But with Ci train, depending on what is put in the commit message field
> of the MP, we might get something like this:
>
>   * - Update standards version to 3.9.5.
>
> Or if there are other changes:
>
>   * - Update standards version to 3.9.5. - Add dependency on
> foo-bar-dev.
>
> It would be nice if we could get changelog entries that more closely
> match the classic manual upload changelog entries, for the automated
> builds.

definitely, and there are various bugs open for this that the CI team
needs to look at at some point ...
I personally dont care if the ofrmatting is shiny ...I will surely
mumble and grumble about it but even having everything in one line is
better than only having a globally broad statement like " * hey new
shiny feature, i rock !!!" in ten packages without further info ... my
main concern is that developers don't even add any descriptive commit
message anymore to the MP and thats what bites us heavily atm.

(note that i personally use dch -i even with MPs and leave the distro
series as UNRELEASED, that way i can provide a proper chaneglog that CI
doesn't overwrite, it will only mangle the version)

ciao
	oli