Re: Identifying memory issues, #2

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 20:03 +0200, Thomas Voß wrote:
>> Good catch, the more important question is: Why are two apps running
>> in parallel?
>> Our lifecycle policy does not allow for that.
>
> Well, if my understanding of the policy and its implementation is
> correct, then they are stopped/suspend, and simply waiting for the
> signal to resume when the user taps on the app under "Recent" or
> switches with the right-edge swipe.
>
> Also, the policy is very frustrating. It means it is not easy, if not
> wholly impossible, to write certain classes of applications, that need
> to continue running in the background for valid reasons; including
> several apps that I was wanting to write. :(

We have had in-depth discussions about this specific policy decision
on this list. While it is strict it also allows us to guarantee great
battery life no matter which applications are installed. And: we all
agreed that we will factor out certain type of background tasks into
system services to support common use-cases like navigation apps or
Instant Messaging services.

If you have concrete ideas for additional system services, I would
propose kicking off a new thread on this list.

Cheers,

  Thomas