Re: Developers: changelog quality

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So, it makes me wonder, can there be some provision for editing the
>> changelog without requiring retesting? Maybe the upstream developer
>> who has to write a new changelog entry can just email it to the core
>> dev who rejected the upload based on the changelog, and that core dev
>> could upload a -0ubuntu2 with just the changelog fix?
>
> Well, I think that can be a policy exception we can quickly add to the
> landing process .
> If an MP only contains debian/changelog changes it should simply not
> require re-testing , that way you could just stick another MP on top
> that fixes the changelog entry without much hassle.

Ok, with that understanding I can feel more comfortable about
rejecting bad changelogs. Thanks.

> Today we already share many packages on the phone with the general
> distro and distro people will want to be able to know what's going on
> with the packages ... the more we work towards convergence the closer
> these worlds will have to cooperate and info needs to get over the
> fence, lets design our processes in a way that this is possible ;)

Yeah, maybe certain projects could elect to forego debian/changelog,
and simply have a link to the VCS changelog, so that way people who
want debian/changelog aren't left with nothing, while upstreams don't
have to duplicate their commit messages... Maybe something like
this...

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/emacs/snapshot-packaging/view/head:/debian/changelog

;-)