Re: Landing team 17.06.14

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 7:58 PM, Rodney Dawes <rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-06-17 at 19:49 +0200, Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak wrote:
> > Top news: image #85 promoted! There are some changes of interest in this
> > image, one of which is the new design of address-book-app, dialer-app
> > and messaging-app. This image also doesn't use the desktop translation
> > files anymore - this means there might potentially be some applications
> > that are be missing translations (like, for instance, the dialer-app).
> > We apologize for any possible inconveniences. We assure you that those,
> > if identified, will be fixed as soon as possible.
>
> What changed exactly with the translations here? These apps weren't
> using translations embedded in the .desktop files anyway, but were using
> the X-Gettext-Domain= in the .desktop file to point to their translation
> domain. Did this change to include the translations in the .desktop
> files directly? Or was the X-Gettext-Domain= entry just removed?

I think by "desktop translations" here Lukasz meant that we're no longer
going to use the desktop-specific language packs in favour of the much
smaller touch-specific ones.

As pitti mentioned in previous e-mails on the list, this will mean for some
packages to get their translations stripped and shipped in the language
packs instead. dialer-app was one of the first ones, so it's shipped
without translations today, but we're getting the language pack also today,
so probably at some point tomorrow or whenever the touch language packs are
uploaded, it should get them back.

Cheers,
David.