Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On 25 June 2014 12:49, Jamie Strandboge <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With this example, who writes and is in control of the remote service (eg, IRC
> bouncer)?

typically when you have a chat client, the chat server interoperates
with the push server. In the case of IRC, the people running the IRC
server could do expose an API that the IRC client uses. If the people
running the server don't want to do that (and I'm assuming they're not
interested, or there'd be services for non-ubuntu smartphones
already), then you need some kind of mediation, a bouncer, and you'd
need to trust it enough.

Or you could have a generic bouncer that joins the channels you join,
but you'd miss out on private messages.