Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On 06/25/2014 08:17 AM, Mike Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 15:10 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>> hi,
>> Am Mittwoch, den 25.06.2014, 15:00 +0200 schrieb Rasmus Eneman:
>>> And media hub have a Spotify backend,  right? And Grooveshark?
>>
>> no, you were explicitly talking about the playback stopping ...
>> to receive the data without interruption from the server you would have
>> to use ubuntu-download-manager i suppose ...
>
>  I can't speak for Grooveshark but certainly as far as Spotify is
> concerned this isn't an option unfortunately. Spotify only provide a
> proprietary library which applications have to use to get access to
> songs. This library provides a stream raw audio data which then has to
> be handled by the application, as far as I can see the only way to
> support this is to either allow applications to run in the background or
> add Spotify support to media-hub (which as far as I can see would be
> much worse, since you're then letting a proprietary library operate
> completely without confinement).

I'm not advocating having media-hub use a binary blob but did want to mention
that media-hub does actually run under custom AppArmor confinement today (since
it is processing untrusted input).

$ adb shell aa-status | grep media-hub
   /usr/bin/media-hub-server
   /usr/bin/media-hub-server (3139)