Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 13:23 -0600, Selene Scriven wrote:
> I'd very much like it if we put control over this in the end
> user's hands, and give them the ability to override obnoxious
> decisions made by the app developers.  I really don't want
> Facebook running in the background, pinging the server every few
> minutes...  I just want it available on demand for the rare times
> I need to use it on the go.  And the same goes for pretty much
> everything else on the phone.

How you want to use the phone, and h ow I want to use the phone are
different though. Which is why that decision needs to be in the user's
hands. Having the platform take a hard line stance on that one way or
the other is bad. It's bad on Android because there is no regulation on
what apps take advantage of the ability to have background processing.
It's bad on Ubuntu (currently) because there is no way to have an app
that needs specialized background processing.

As for Facebook, you don't have to worry about the Facebook app doing.
The Friends app does all the pinging for you. ;)