Re: Background services: a problem that we need to face

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Rodney Dawes
<rodney.dawes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 18:34 +0200, Benjamin Zeller wrote:
>> > This is just a bug as a result of them being webapps. Once Oxide (and
>> > thus the browser, and webapp-container) has support for streaming the
>> > audio through the persistent media player backend, then these should
>> > work fine as webapps.
>> >
>> > If they were native apps pushing the audio through the backend instead,
>> > it should already work today (ie, the same way the Music app itself
>> > works).
>> Just playing the stream over the backend won't be enough for
>> Grooveshark at least, looking at the API they won't the app to send
>> messages after 30secs and at the end of a song.
>>
>> Can something like that be done as well?
>
> I guess that would require a special case background service then. I
> haven't looked at their API. If it requires the client to ping it every
> 30 seconds, then I don't think it can be done with the current system
> (though I don't know the exact details of how the backend works).

The media hub does not support execution of app-specific helpers, yet.
However, extending it to support that use-case is definitely possible.
Why not file a bug against lp:media-hub requesting that feature?

Thomas