Re: Reporting bugs?

On Monday 07 July 2014 09:56:14 Peter Hultqvist wrote:
> Recently I bought a Nexus 7 for the sole purpose of trying Ubuntu Touch
> I have installed Ubuntu from scratch 3 times with Android 4.4 in between.
>
> My main question is should I report bugs and if so how?
>
> I've read that only a small group should report bugs.
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Contribute#How_to_report_bugs
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Avengers
> Which quite clearly states that only a few should report bugs, is that
> still the case?

I don't think that's true. The Avengers is a special set of people that can
create high priority bugs on latest devel images. However, we welcome anyone
creating regular bugs.

> Anyway here follows a summary of what I've seen so far, please let me
> know if I should try to report these issues.
>
>   * Upon first install while configuring the wifi
>       o The device freeze a few minutes in, before there is a chance to
>         complete the configuration

I think this one is known and will be fixed soon. There's a branch with the
fix waiting to land.

>       o The selection of available networks is really weird(will need to
>         record on video to explain)
>   * Wifi no longer works at all, a week ago I could configure the wifi
>     after a force reboot, but with later updates there is no longer any
>     available networks appearing at all, they still show up on the first
>     boot configuration screen but not anymore from the notification area.
>   * On the app screen
>       o The down arrow next to My apps was really confusing, it took
>         some time for me to realize that there was more apps if I
>         clicked it, my interpretation was that "my apps" was already
>         expanded when the arrow pointed down.
>       o The search is really hard to activte, pull down does not work
>         and the area is small to hit.

This will change soon. There's a branch in the queue which converts the Dash
to use the new header and the search button will then be bigger.

>       o Once search is activated how can I hide the keyboard?

Also this should be solved with the new branch.

>   * Pulled down notifications can't be hidden while the keyboard is present
>   * When using the app switcher(right edge) the left edge no longer
>     allow full drag to go to the home screen, only the tiny sidebar.

This is by design. You can still reveal the dash with the Ubuntu button on the
Launcher while in spread mode. However, this behavior will change again a
little a bit soon.

>   * The Browser
>       o When removing tabs not all tabs get the red close icon
>       o There is no place to click to abort the "remove tab" mode
>       o Tabs are removed even if not clicking the red icon in the top
>         left corner
>       o Does not appear to support Application Cache
>   * Video does not recognize mkv, mp4 or avi files.
>   * Navigation in System Settings
>       o The back arrow is too small and too close to the left edge, If
>         I'm not very careful I always activate the left edge rather than
>         the back arrow, would be better if the entire title area would
>         act as a back button

There is a known issue with accidentally activating edge gestures when tapping
close to the screen edge. The fix is planned, but requires some other work to
be finished first.

Can you please file bugs in Launchpad for the things where there isn't a
fixing branch yet? It's not really easy to track the issues in here and most
likely not all affected people even see it in here.

Thanks,
Michael