Re: Status update: Planned changes to the developer mode/adb access

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 08.07.2014, 00:20 +0200 schrieb Alexander Sack:
> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Steve Langasek
> <steve.langasek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Marc,

> >> Sure, you enable a password/PIN on the lock screen.
> >
> > I may be misunderstanding; does this imply that one must enable
> > password-based unlock on the screen in order to have password-based sudo
> > over adb?  I would not like to have to password unlock my phone for each
> > use, but would like sudo to work - the two use cases are obviously (to me)
> > not equivalent.
>
> Yes, my understanding is that you have to unlock your phone on screen
> in order to adb shell into it.
>
> I maybe more convenient idea I had was to make adb shell prompt you
> for your pass instead. This probably would also make the automation
> story easier. Dunno if this option was considered and if there were
> reasons against that.
adbd is designed in a way that it will not attach to a tty. not give you
job control or any other pieces a "normal" shell offers ... to support
login this would have to be changed which would essentially mean a
complete re-write of adbd (we could as well create "udb" as rsalveti and
sergio have been asking for in the past ... but as i understand there is
a vendor requirement (or promise from our (PES) side) for full adb
functionality compatibility ... which makes that impossible ...

ciao
	oli