Re: Status update: Planned changes to the developer mode/adb access

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Marc Deslauriers [2014-07-08  7:09 -0400]:
>> You can make adb detect when running on the emulator, and allow connections for
>> testing perhaps.
>
> I wouldn't like to see this. First, we need to test on real hw as well
> and don't want to provide two different approaches to this, and second
> it would make the emulator useless for developing and testing these
> new security specifications.
>
> I still like the suggestion of making ubuntu-device-flash --developer-mode
> enable adb and root (or perhaps also a separate --developer-root-mode
> option if that one is only supposed to give you user adb).

If this is different from the developer mode you enable through
settings, I would like to keep the name distinct. Maybe something like
--root-mode?

In any case, did we explore maybe making adb shell password protected
instead of trying to make assumptions about whether you can adb into
your device based on screen lock state? Would that be hard/easy to do
if we wanted it?