Re: Still religious comments in core-apps code

Dear Michael and Michel,

On 10 July 2014 16:58, Michael Spencer <sonrisesoftware@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Michel,
>
> I'm very sorry that got added. Like I said before, those files came from a
> library of mine. I obviously did not notice that comment (or the person who
> reviewed that commit), or I would not have kept it in the file.
>
> I most certainly do not want "religious proselytism" in the core apps code,
> or in any community code. Like I said before, that library (and those
> comments) were for a Bible app that my team and I are developing. That
> header got added to the file as part of an automated licensing tool I used
> in the library and which used the header from our Bible app.
>
> As I explained before, I do not feel that it is "religious proselytism", nor
> did I intend to inject "fake information". It was merely an accident that
> that header got included into the File Manager.  And no, I do not feel that
> it is right to upload that header into a community app since it offends
> people like you. I only said that I thought it is right to upload to
> personal projects, especially a Bible app.
>
> I'm working on a client's project right now, but I will remove that header
> as soon as i have time today.
>
> Sorry to have offended you!

Yeah, bugs happen, especially in automated tools and then get rapidly
replicated. =) so no worries. Hence, do read $ bzr diff and the merge
proposal generated diffs to spot unintended things, leftover debug
messages etc.

Despite previous cases, in Ubuntu we typically do not introduce any
"Easter eggs" as it's a very slippery slope and can be easily
misunderstood without context. E.g. whilst typically harmless google
doodles, they do confuse users
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/583931

About quoting bible translations - please be careful about copyrights
and rights to use given passages. I'm upstream of Xiphos and am SWORD
Project contributor, whilst that project has collected a wide range of
biblical works, commentaries and translations, most of the time they
are not free (in Debian Free Software Guidelines sence) as typically
those texts are prohibited from modifications (at times down to layout
& formatting) and are not granting universal re-distribution rights.
Thus if project you are developing uses a copyleft license do check
that they are compatible, or better remove the quotes. Apps for
religious texts are a niche software, but are typically categories as
a type of ebook readers. Next thing you know, someone would try to
adapt the same open-source software package to use/display books from
some another religion and one wouldn't want to discourage anyone from
improving any open-source software, in the spirit of our core values
and philosophy http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy.

Regards,

Dimitri.