Re: Community participation

On 07/17/2014 05:02 AM, Oliver Propst wrote:
Sure, but I think if they really want expand and create the a similar atmosphere
around it as the desktop operating system they should try to work closer
with the the community.

They can't work more closely with the community, really. It's already the same as the desktop operating system, simply with a different shell and display manager. Everything's open source and publicly available.

The fact is, porting to new ARM architectures is extremely hard work and no one's interested. The only port I know of that's working is the Nexus 5, and even that's been broken the last couple of weeks. And that's probably only working because it's mostly the same as the Nexus 7.

Pretty much every other port I've seen gets to a point where it displays graphics and is then unceremoniously abandoned. I'd like to think that once there's an RTM image that some serious ports will pop up, but until then it's just Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 by Canonical, and bq and Meizu are doing their own ports to their own hardware.

This is identical to how Android works, if I'm not mistaken--each OEM does the port themself.

Anyone who's interested in software development in the meantime can write and test apps on their desktop and then do further testing on the emulator. This is identical to device testing and has been around for a year and a half.

The only thing I think is severely deficient is any indication whatsoever of what the design team is doing, but even then there's no time for bikeshed arguments.

What exactly do you think it is that is lacking?

Regards,
Nathan

--
Nathan Haines