Re: Community participation

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Nathan Haines <nhaines@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/17/2014 05:02 AM, Oliver Propst wrote:
Sure, but I think if they really want expand and create the a similar atmosphere around it as the desktop operating system they should try to work closer
with the the community.

They can't work more closely with the community, really.

Consider this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ui-toolkit/+bug/1276808. Yes, it's publicly available and open for comments from everyone, but the description is simply a link to a private canonical.com document. That's not truly open for community participation.

Now, I'm sure this is just a mistake -- whoever posted that to the bug probably did so with the intention that everyone could view it. And since we all live logged into Google, it never occurs to people who have access that other people don't. However, it does imply that Canonical is making development decisions in private Google documents. So don't tell me "they can't work more closely with the community"!

That said, I'm not convinced that this is actually a problem. One of the things I like best about Ubuntu is that it is developed with strong direction and vision, and doesn't merely follow the majority view of the community. It may well be that that spec had to be developed in private, since it was part of this directed vision. That's fine!

So my complaint isn't that Ubuntu isn't completely community-driven, it's that we keep saying it is. Let's not. Then when we get emails like Oliver's, treat it as a request to alter the balance.

Robert

(I hope this email makes sense. I rewrote it several times, changed my conclusion in the process, and almost deleted it. I'm hoping that it's better to get these opinions out there, rather than leaving them hidden, but I reserve the right to decide tomorrow that I was all mistaken today.)