Re: Community participation

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 14:01 +0200, David Planella wrote
> Hi Oliver
Hi David, nice to hear from you.

> Thanks so much, not only for the interest in Ubuntu, but also for the
> feedback. It is much appreciated.
:)

> The presentation material is also something we've been working in the
> Community team [3], including preparing reusable presentation
> material. This last cycle, our LoCo teams have organized 6 developer
> events across Europe, Asia and North and South America [4]. But
> reading the Mozilla page, I can see a few things we could learn from
> there too.
Great.

>         > We have frequent hack days, conduct our discussions in open
>         irc
>         > channels and mailing lists such as this one, and the code is
>         all
>         > available on launchpad. I spend personally spend a
>         significant portion
>         > of my day working with community people on Ubuntu, and I
>         know many
>         > others do too.
That's great for sure.

> I myself was not aware of the bootloader affecting the way binaries
> are distributed, and I'm sure others in the list would like to learn
> about it as well. Could you expand a bit on that?
I might have got some technical dealtil wrong here, the main point is
that at least Mozilla have struggled to include the open source
community in the developer community due to legal and practical issues
despite real devices on the market.

Therefore they parented with a manufacture to create a special reference
phone (the Flame) that ensure a great experience for developers, a great
blog post on subject are available[1].

Its because of issues like these I keep reefer to Mozilla and FirefoxOS
as they have launched a community inclusive  open source mobile
operating system, have struggled but learned some important lessons
along the way that think parties such as Canonical and the Ubuntu
community can learn from.

1 http://asadotzler.com/2014/05/28/flame-firefox-os-reference-phone/

> Thanks!
You are welcome!