Re: System Apps Status - July 17, 2014

On 07/21/2014 03:09 AM, Tomas Öqvist wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Ubuntu Touch is making great progress. I am using it as a daily driver
> on my Nexus 4 now, but there are a few areas where I haven't been able
> to find the current status and/or plans:
> 1) MMS is not working. I am able to send a picture through the
> messaging app and all looks fine on the phone, but it never reaches
> its recipient.
We are waiting for support from the Phonedations team to land upload
support to nuntium and ubuntu-download-manager. This is needed for MMS
send to work, and I believe it should land this week sometime.

It's a valid bug that we are not correctly reporting failures on sent
MMS messages. Bug tracked here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/messaging-app/+bug/1337597

> 2) Bluetooth support. I can connect to some bluetooth devices, but not
> all. When I am able to connect I can stream music, but when can we
> expect bluetooth support in the dialer app?
Bluetooth support in general is being actively worked on. Support in the
dialer-app should land sometime in the next few weeks or so once all the
backend support is finalized.

> 3) There are 6 apps in the launcher residing above "My apps". Is there
> any way to change which apps are on the top?
Good question, I was wondering the same. Shell team/design, any feedback
on this.

> 4) Camera is really good in bright lighting, but whenever I use the
> flash pictures turn black or almost black.
This is a known outstanding bug that seems to be hardware/timing
related, but still needs more investigation. It works fine on some
devices (mine) but not others.

Bug is tracked here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/camera-app/+bug/1322121

Fix hopefully to come in next month.

> 5) Video recording is nice, but I don't get any sound on the videos I
> record.

This is a known issue being worked on by media-hub guys, as well as the
issue that recorded videos are in the wrong orientation. Bug tracked here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/media-hub/+bug/1346301

> 6) Location indicators stay on, but GPS seems not to be working and
> location through GSM is very hit and miss (in e.g. the weather app).
> Google maps is not able to determine the location even though both
> location detection and GPS indicators are checked.
I'm told AGPS support should help this and is planning on landing soon,
but I'll let the teams working on that comment.

> 7) Document viewer, is it WIP or planned for later releases?

It is not planned work for my team currently.