Re: How does developer mode work?

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM, David Planella <david.planella@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that Developer Mode had just landed on devel-proposed, and while
> I've been following some threads on the list and on IRC, I don't recall
> having seen the final conclusions.
>
> From the POV of an app developer:
>
> - Is Developer Mode reversible?

Yes

> I.e. I remember in the past, once I'd turn a device to RW mode, I'd have
> to reflash it to get it back to RO mode and this be able to use OTA updates.

Not exactly as it depends on what you did, its just that if you installed
or updated any packages your results would be indeterminate when you went
back to the image updater so reflashing is safest in that case. I go in and
out of rw mode all the time fwiw.

> - What does Developer Mode exactly do? I.e. does it simply set the device
> into RW mode, does it do anything else?

It does not set rw mode. It allows adb access, and you will notice it
requires that a password or passcode be set.

Currently dev mode is enabled by default and some time soon it will be
disabled by default, once all the plumbing lands.

Pat