Re: SDK Team status update - 05.08

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Zoltán Balogh
<zoltan.balogh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Exciting news from the SDK Lab!
>
> If you like it short just read this ->
>
> UI ToolKit:
> 1) We have a decision to go with the Qt.Labs Settings API,  the QML API will
> be released on the image and in the click chroots soon

Hopefully docs will be updated too. If you attempt to use this module
in an app today, it will attempt to store the app's config in:

~/.config/qt-labs.org/applicationName.conf

(as observed on 14.10 desktop)

Of course, this is not allowed on the phone due to AppArmor confinement.

The documentation here:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qsettings.html#platform-specific-notes

makes it seem like we should be hitting case #2 for Unix:
$HOME/.config/MySoft.conf

but that is not what I observe.

Additionally, I can't seem to set my app's organization either, to try
and make it hit case #1:

Qt.application.organization: "com.canonical.achiang"

But then I see an error on the console:

Non-existent attached object

Finally, in general, it would be nice if the SDK provided some way for
Ubuntu apps to work better with AppArmor settings. As per:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/apps/security-policy-for-click-packages/

---
The application will have read/write access files in the standard XDG
base directories. Specifically:

XDG_CACHE_HOME/<APP_PKGNAME>
XDG_CONFIG_HOME/<APP_PKGNAME>
XDG_DATA_HOME/<APP_PKGNAME>
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/confined/<APP_PKGNAME>
---

However, reading environment variables from QML is prohibitively hard
(requires a C++ plugin). It would be better if the SDK provided
helpers for those specific variables so apps don't have to write a
plugin just to read those variables.

We have simply worked around this by hard coding: "~/.config" but that
is obviously not very nice, and might also fail in a language other
than English, where XDG_CONFIG_HOME != ".config" ...

Thanks