Core Apps update

2014-08-11

As we lead up to RTM we're landing the final features and fixing bugs
for the images at the end of the month. We're keen for users of Ubuntu
to beat heavily on the core apps and report issues where appropriate.

If you're not sure where a bug goes, the existing Avengers page is
probably a good starting point, alternatively you can drop by
#ubuntu-touch to talk to us directly, or use this very mailing list.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Avengers

Across all apps:-

* We now have better translation support in all the core apps. We
always welcome new contributors to translations, especially for
locales where there's a significant gap in translation and a small
team, to spread the load.

Please see http://projects.davidplanella.org/stats/utopic for up to
date statistics on our translations coverage, and links to how you can
get involved and help improve them

== Reminders ==

* Reminders now points to the production Evernote servers, so you
don't need to create an Evernote Sandbox account to use it. We'd like
to encourage more users to test the Reminders app, especially if you
have a large and complex set of notes in your Evernote account.
* Some UI updates to fix issues when attaching photos to notes were also made

== Music ==

* Working on implementing new list items support - as seen in the
contacts and new clock app. This has now landed in trunk and will be
in the store a little later. Keep an eye out for the store update!
* Community music app devs have spent a fair amount of time uncovering
irritating bugs in the mediascanner service and have worked closely
with the MediaScanner developers to get fixes
* We've done some UI cleanup work including playlist functionality bug fixing
* The app will get a re-design towards the end of August

== Calendar ==

* Improvements to translatable strings
* Working on bugs in event handling - e.g. creating events went to
wrong calendar by default, multiple guests can be added to events now
* Currently working with toolkit developers to identify and fix an
issue with selecting dates when you're creating events

== Clock (reboot) ==

For those that don't know the Clock has had a redesign and work is
ongoing to finish that in time plenty of time for RTM to replace the
existing Clock app.

* World clock UI implemented
* Add settings option to change system time from within clock up
* Clock remembers user settings in U1DB (such as user choice of
analog/digital clock)
* Added settings to control alarm sound and duration! (most welcome by
many I'm sure)
* Lots of other UI improvements to bring it close to the design spec

== Weather ==

* Will be getting a new design, work starting next week.
* Investigating replacing use of geonames.org with our own service

== File

== Terminal ==

* For a bit of fun we will be getting an optional old school mode,
contributed by developer of cool-old-term. Here's an early example
screenshot http://i.imgur.com/Ntu399y.png

Alan Pope
Technical Project Manager

Canonical - Product Strategy