Re: What's the right way to get "qmlscene" to work out of the box?

On miércoles 13 de agosto de 2014 09h'03:58 ART, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Stephen M. Webb
<stephen.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is this the problem we had on the Unity 8 desktop some months ago that we solved it by explicitly replacing 'qmlscene' in the .desktop files with 'qmlscene -qt=5'? What are the disadvantages of that solution?

The only disadvantage is the wide-spread hard-coded 'qmlscene'
throughout apps' .desktop files, autopilot tests and elsewhere, so it
would take the same effort as switching to another wrapper. Since
there's potential we'd like to have some extra features or changes in
the future 'uqmlscene', it'd be best to patch all apps just once.
Meanwhile, since that'd take time, the qtchooser would be a quick
option to solve the problem in a package, if system-wide environment
variables are wanted to be avoided.

Can't you make ubuntu-app-launch export QT_SELECT=qt5 if the click framework for the app being run is one that matches a qt5 one before calling Exec from the .desktop file?

But indeed any Qt development tool can be called with the -qt
parameter which is then equal to there being a default configuration
(qt5-default package) or an environment variable. Any of the following
would work: 'qmlscene -qt5', 'qmlscene -qt=5', 'qmlscene -qt=qt5'.