Re: Developer mode ... the next steps, managing ssh

On 14.08.2014 20:09, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
>
> as of image 189 a new way of enabling ssh landed ... as you might
> know we will soon disable all root access to the device and make
> adb default to run as phablet user. for this some system services
> need to be able to be enabled by the phablet user without requiring
> a password ... we have the dbus-property-service in the image to
> provide that functionality ...
>
> today i landed the dbus support for en/disabling ssh as phablet
> user, if you have any scripts that call something like: "adb shell
> start ssh" (which operates on the assumption that your adb shell
> actually runs as root), please make it use the following lines now
> (works via adb or manually)
>
> gdbus call -y -d com.canonical.PropertyService -o
> /com/canonical/PropertyService -m
> com.canonical.PropertyService.SetProperty ssh true
>
> this will enable sshd ...
>
> gdbus call -y -d com.canonical.PropertyService -o
> /com/canonical/PropertyService -m
> com.canonical.PropertyService.SetProperty ssh false
>
> this will disable sshd ...
>
> ciao oli

'disable all root access to the device'
This is very unfortunate, please dont restrict root access.

The reason why i like Ubuntu Touch, is that i can change and do
whatever i want (at my responsibility).
The more restrictions, the less interesting it gets.

Why does the urge to lock-down everything exist? Some ppl need/want
that level of control so taking this away is a huge step backwards.

greetings