Re: Developer mode ... the next steps, managing ssh

Oliver Grawert [2014-08-14 20:09 +0200]:
> today i landed the dbus support for en/disabling ssh as phablet user, if
> you have any scripts that call something like: "adb shell start
> ssh" (which operates on the assumption that your adb shell actually runs
> as root), please make it use the following lines now (works via adb or
> manually)
>
> gdbus call -y -d com.canonical.PropertyService
> -o /com/canonical/PropertyService -m
> com.canonical.PropertyService.SetProperty ssh true
>
> this will enable sshd ...

For the record, I updated autopkgtest's ssh setup script for phones in
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/autopkgtest/autopkgtest.git/commit/?id=8310717

However, non-root adb will break some other things in there: It writes
into /cache/recovery/ubuntu_command for factory reset, and saves and
restores /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ before/after factory
reset.  Running these through adb (or ssh, which is less desirable)
would need sudo. I suppose there is no SetPropery call (as an user) to
enable sudo, as that would make the whole lockdown pointless.

Also, will "adb reboot recovery" still work as non-root?

I suppose for both things we need a way to enable sudo when flashing
the device. Will/does ubuntu-device-flash --developer-mode do that? I.
e. we'll set up our test devices with that once, and from then on adb
will stay root even after factory reset?

Thanks,

Martin