dlopen: cannot load any more object with static TLS

Hi all,

I've been trying, and largely failing, to get Beru [1] to run on emulators and devices. I think I've squashed a bug related to apparmor permissions [2], but now when running on a i386 emulator I'm getting the error:

file:///usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/Ubuntu/Components/Extras/Browser/UbuntuWebView01.qml:20 plugin cannot be loaded for module "QtWebKit": Cannot load library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/QtWebKit/libqmlwebkitplugin.so: (dlopen: cannot load any more object with static TLS)

I'm trying to figure out what that means. (Can it not load more objects with static TLS, or can it no longer load objects with static TLS? And from what language was this message translated?) I'm assuming TLS stands for "Thread-Local Storage", not "Transport Layer Security". If so, a Stack Overflow answer [3] suggests that this is a problem when cross-compiling for i386 from x86_64. Does this mean that this won't be a problem on an arm device?

If you feel like testing, please note that this bug is not deterministic. It only occurs sporadically (perhaps related to the memory addresses allocated), so please run the program several times before deciding that it doesn't happen. There's an issue [4] tracking this problem, if you want more details. Respond here or there as you prefer.

Thanks,
Robert

[1] https://github.com/rschroll/beru
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/qtcreator-plugin-ubuntu/+bug/1358004