Landing team 21.08.14

Hello everyone,

Image #203 promoted! As we have announced earlier we are no longer in
TRAINCON-0, so landing velocity should be a bit faster now. Yay!

First of all, let's try taking a quick look at the changes introduced in
this image - in comparison to the one promoted last time:
 - Audio recording in the camera-app
 - On screen keyboard enhancements for text prediction
 - Mir 0.6.1
 - Save/restore browsing session in the webbrowser-app
 - New swipe-from-bottom scopes scope view
 - Many Unity8 changes and fixes
 - Tone generator support in dialer-app
 - Indicator changes
 - A huge number of other enhancements, improvements and bug-fixes

Please consult our commitlogs for more detailed changes.

Image #203 seems to be really solid on mako devices, so most people
upgrading should be happy with what they see. But it must be noted that
we have a few blockers on start which we mostly decided to whitelist for
the time of this promotion. These need to be handled with top priority.
Our overall goal is having 2 promotions per week and a green image in
smoketesting - remember!

Also, as per another announcement, from now on all landers can
officially land features to the RTM distro which our RTM-targeted images
will be built from. Please consult the announcement e-mail for more
information [1].

It was a busy TRAINCON-0 everyone... Let's not do it again ;)!
We might have to revise our landing policies and make them a bit
stricter to lower the number of potential regressions - but that's all
up to discussion still.

The list:

* What landed in our images:
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/

- http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/203.commitlog
- http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/landing-team/202.commitlog

* Smoke-testing results:
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/

#203 mako
-
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/mako/203:20140821.1:20140811.1/9847/
#202 mako
-
http://ci.ubuntu.com/smokeng/utopic/touch/mako/202:20140821:20140811.1/9825/

* Some useful documentation:
(Still under development)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/ComponentSupportList
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/LandingTeam
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/citrain/FAQ

http://people.canonical.com/~platform/citrain_dashboard/
http://people.canonical.com/~lzemczak/issues/

(See the issues dashboard for always up-to-date blocker status)

* Blocking issues:

** indicator-network crashing during dialer-app and default tests on
smoketesting
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1355130
[Time counter 8/7]

** Upstart jobs specifying cgroup fail to start occasionally
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1357252
 -> Whitelisted for now as this issue has been worked-around by
reverting the ubuntu-app-start landing that started using cgroups

** unity8 crashed with SIGABRT in _nl_find_locale()
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1359846
 -> This most probably causes serious issues during phone-calls on krillin

** Location trust service is not started on image 203
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1359866
 -> A promotion blocker for next images, as it basically means some apps
might have issues accessing location

* Known issues:

** Video freezes and doesn't recover randomly
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1314998
 -> Seems to be an old issue, but recently became much more easily
reproducible. Normally it would becone a blocker.

** In about Phone if you select OS hit back and select something else
that goes to a new page it crashes the app
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1349326
 -> A possible blocker, but QA for now decided not to block on a fix for it

* Issues not impacting user experience:

** unity8 crashed with SIGSEGV in
mir::frontend::ClientBufferTracker::client_has()
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1339610
[Time counter 32/7]
[WHITELISTED]
 -> This problem has caused some rare test failures in smoketesting,
rarely reproducible it seems. Is this still valid? Might be related to
one of our blockers.

** Ubuntu Touch devices sometimes come up with hwclock set to 1970
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1353591
 -> Critical issue, but we're working-around it temporarily to get a
promotion

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone/msg09565.html

Best regards,

--