Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Landing team - RTM landings now officially open!

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo
<ricardo.salveti@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Łukasz 'sil2100' Zemczak
> <lukasz.zemczak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> As we have now officially branched for ubuntu-rtm, we would also like to
>> announce that landing for RTM-targetted images is now officially open!
>> This means that all landers can have their changes landed into
>> ubuntu-rtm when they want it. We have enabled some features in the CI
>> Train for this purpose last week, but only now the test run is over and
>> everything that lands will stay in the archive.
>>
>> By default from now on anything that's landed in ubuntu will not be part
>> of the RTM-targeted images. So make sure you get the changes you want to
>> ubuntu-rtm.
>> Please read on to get to know the process itself.
>>

>>  * How to land a package to ubuntu-rtm?
>>
>> First of all, you will need to have a separate branch for your RTM
>> backports. The naming and location of this branch is all up to you. Some
>> of the projects that participated in the testing landings last week used
>> the naming scheme of lp:projectname/rtm-14.09 .
>> Before releasing anything for ubuntu-rtm, make sure the same change is
>> already released in Ubuntu current development series (e.g. utopic). We
>> only accept cherry-picked changes from trunks. In other words: if
>> something is to land in RTM it will require a double landing - one to
>> ubuntu, then to ubuntu-rtm. Once that happens, fill in a landing with
>> the new merge requests to the RTM branches in our CI Train spreadsheet
>> and set the Target Distribution field to "ubuntu-rtm/14.09". The rest is
>> the same as before, with the change being that the landing needs to be
>> tested against ubuntu-rtm built images instead. Remember to double check
>> that your RTM merges are targeting the right branches - i.e. the RTM
>> branch created earlier.
>>
>> To summarize, the general process:
>>  - Making sure an RTM branch (for this example let's use
>> lp:foo/rtm-14.09) exists and corresponds to what is in ubuntu-rtm
>>  - Creating a merge request of a feature/fix to ubuntu (target -> lp:foo)
>>  - Driving a landing through CI Train of this merge/merges to ubuntu
>> (target distribution -> ubuntu/utopic)
>>  - Creating a branch with the same changes but based on lp:foo/rtm-14.09
>>  - Creating a merge request of the feature/fix to ubuntu-rtm (target ->
>> lp:foo/rtm-14.09)
>>  - Driving a landing through CI Train of this merge/merges to ubuntu-rtm
>> (target distribution -> ubuntu-rtm/14.09)
>>  - Change, after possible additional testing, lands in RTM
>>
>> Currently ubuntu-rtm landings are also treated very safely, so most
>> landings might require a QA sign-off before those can be published into
>> the archive.
>
> For the landing that are RTM only anyway, I don't see why we'd need to
> create a RTM branch. That would only make sense in case the upstream
> wants to deliver new features that are not necessarily related to RTM
> (so we can just cherry-pick stuff to RTM).

> [...]

I am sure technically something like this could be done; but since we
have harder gates for entering ubuntu-rtm testing it would have to
reenter through a silo anyway right now.

Also, short term I doubt it technically just works (TM) right now; so
you probably have to create a branch in any case until we come up for
a convenience solution for landing in two distros.

Anyway, Lukasz would know for sure and we certainly will look at how
to add more convenience for case of non-forked upstreams delivering in
two distros for our roadmap.

 - Alexander