Re: ownCloud app.

Hi,

Answering in-line

> You could say that for every single package out there. *Some* app
> might want to use this, some might want to use that. We can't afford
> putting the whole archive on the image. At the model we're working
> with, you need to bring your own binaries and libraries except for
> those that are guaranteed to be there by means of the framework your
> app will expect.

Point taken. I get that.

> Daniel, sorry I haven't been able to do more with your launchpad code
> - been flat out with life at the moment. Will try and have a play with
> it later tonight. Have you gotten contact & calendar sync working with
> syncevolution? Thanks for all your work, and pushing this project
ahead.

No worries, mate. There is no rush. We work while we can.
I have not made any progress myself either. Since the URL depends on the
users own service, as well as language and stuff, I want to resolve that
first. Like I assume that an English OC installation has the name
"contacts" in the URL of the CardDAV, while my Swedish has "kontakter".
Either we do this translation ourselves, or we need to ask the user for
the current name of the addressbook and/or calendar. Need to take a look
at the ownCloud documentation.
Also, thank you :)

> IMO there shouldn't even be a frontend app. You should just set up the
account and it'll start syncing automagically. Pretty much how the
google sync works.

> Except that Owncloud syncs files as well as calendar & contacts. There
> would need to be some way to choose which folders were going to be
> synced. I'm guessing this will require some kind of front end.

I think that the account plugin takes care of the calendar and contacts
sync first, and that the app first of all gives us the possibility to
browse the currently stored files. Once we can ship the owncloudcmd
binary with our package I think that the account plugin should contain
the setting to start syncing files and directories as well. But the app
still browses the cloud stored files.

> There is also the problem of background syncing. Is any service
> currently available for that? Because it would be really weird if the
> user has to wait with the app open while up or downloading..

Good point! Anyone that can answer that? What about the policy groups
and stuff?

> No, there would need to be an OwnCloud module that would send Push
> Messages to a subscribed device so that its push helper could setup
> downloads (with appropriate config to whether it should download on
> cell service or wait for WiFi, etc.)

So you have to call the phone for it to start downloading a file? Would
that conclude that we need to write an app for the actual ownCloud
server service to create such push messages?

--
Vänlig hälsning / Yours sincerely,
   Daniel Holm

Follow ups