Re: Help is needed

hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 04.09.2014, 05:14 +0200 schrieb Johannes Renkl:
> Hi Oli, hi Christian!
>

> (My first post on this list - I hope this goes into the right thread.)
> I experienced the same problem yesterday, tried to repair it and made
> it even worse (deinstalled lxc-android-config_0.193 partially) so that
> the apt-get install -f workaround did not work anymore.
> Just in case someone else get stuck like that: you may unpack the deb
> file, delete lib/udev/rules.d/70-android.rules, repack it again and
> install it. Dirty - hopefully this file will never change... >)
>
> Btw. I've read
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ImageBasedUpgrades/ExtraPackageInstallation
> and thought if it would be possible/considerable/feasible to:
> - install extra packages somewhere outside the image (/data/local?)
> - keep only one dpkg-database outside the image for everything
> - keep the db in sync by appropriate operations whenever the image is
>   updated
>
> Unmet depencies and conflicts would have to be resolved on the extra
> package side, but that seems to be a general problem.
> (Or would the "outsourcing of the dpkg-database" undermine the idea of
> having identically devices too much?)

we have quite big plans with system-image.
these include to supply ubuntu system-image installs for desktops and
even for servers. there is work going on to make dpkg work completely
flawless on system-image installs, even when keeping the system
readonly. but this takes time and we want to avoid hacks.

the master plan is to have system-image everywhere, the advantage of
extremely fast and 100% regression/breakage free system upgrades doesn't
only count on phones ... convergence is so much more than just some UI
bits that work on all form factors ;)
sadly the really exciting bits rarely have interesting screenshots to
spread ;)

we were discussing the possibility of adding a switch yesterday, that
disables system-image completely (and irreversible, you would have to
re-flash to go back), but would give you a fully apt maintained system
instead ... this would indeed be completely unsupported and might break
if there are system-image specific hooks somewhere, but it would give
you a working apt upgrade path at least ... until the above is
implemented.

ciao
	oli