Re: Fwd: Re: Testing Translations

Hi Robert,

You've hit different things:

1. I think you might not have Spanish translations installed on your
system. That means that probably the es_ES.UTF-8 locale is not generated.
Try starting the language support app from the Dash and installing Spanish
from there.

2. In Ubuntu translations are shipped in language packs. Those translations
are only available once you've installed the corresponding language.
However, there are a few apps/libraries that as an exception cannot be
shipped as language packs. This means that all of their translations are
always installed. Coincidentally, 'apt', the domain you're using for your
tests, is one of them. This might have lead you to believe you've got
Spanish translations and support installed, which you probably don't (see
point 1.) You can see a list of those translations (.mo files) that are
always installed if you look at e.g. /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/. The
translations from language packs are installed in a different location:
/usr/share/locale-langpack

3. The language specification for LANGUAGE and LANG is different. For
LANGUAGE, it is just the 2-letter or 3-letter language code; e.g. es (or a
list of them separated by semicolon); for LANG it's the full locale, e.g.
es_ES.UTF-8. You were specifying LANG=es, which is why you were getting the
warning of unkown locale. In fact, without having generated the locale,
even if you had specified it correctly, you'd have gotten the warning.

I hope this helps. In short, if you install Spanish and then either specify
LANGUAGE=es or LANG=es_ES.UTF-8 it should all work.

Cheers,
David.