Re: Fwd: Re: Testing Translations

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 2:11 AM, David Planella <david.planella@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. I think you might not have Spanish translations installed on your system. That means that probably the es_ES.UTF-8 locale is not generated. Try starting the language support app from the Dash and installing Spanish from there.

That did it.  Thanks!

But I'm going to complain anyway: Every other program I've tested works fine if LANGUAGE is set but the language pack isn't installed, so long as the appropriate .mo file is in place. Why should qmlscene/i18n work any differently? And why does dtr() work, but only if the default domain is set to something else?!?

2. In Ubuntu translations are shipped in language packs.

But only for the default apps, surely. Anything in a PPA will need to ship it's own translations, and that's what I'm trying to test. Since I have the necessary .mo file from the PPA, why should I need the language pack? (I used apt in my example precisely because it would already be installed for everyone.)

3. The language specification for LANGUAGE and LANG is different. For LANGUAGE, it is just the 2-letter or 3-letter language code; e.g. es (or a list of them separated by semicolon); for LANG it's the full locale, e.g. es_ES.UTF-8.

I see. It seems that Python's gettext is more permissive. It allowed LANG=es, but nothing else I've tested does. Thanks for setting me straight.

Is this worth submitting a bug about?  If so, against which project?

Thanks again,
Robert