Re: How to make apport recognize a crash

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 05:52:05PM +0300, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> Hi all!
>   I found a way to reproduce the following bug 100% of the times:
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1381558
>
> However, I could report the bug only when running in the desktop (Unity
> 7), and not on the phone (Nexus 4): it seems that apport doesn't get
> alerted by this crash.
> How can I get apport "see" this crash and report it?

The crash reporting system behaves differently on the phone than on the
desktop. On the desktop you will receive an alert / notification that a
crash has occurred and you'll be asked how you want to proceed. This
does not happen on the phone, and instead if you've chosen to report
crashes automatically (the default choice), then a .upload file
(indicating data collection has occurred) should be created in the
/var/crash folder corresponding to the .crash file. If the .crash file
is uploaded to the Error Tracker then a .uploaded file will be created
in /var/crash. You can find a log file of whoopsie's activity in
/var/log/upstart/whoopsie.log and you should be able to find an OOPS ID
in the log file corresponding to the .crash file that was uploaded. So
the crash may very well have been reported and everything just happened
behind the scenes.

--
Brian Murray