Re: SD Card access for applications

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Florian Boucault <
florian.boucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The camera and the gallery app today are authorized to read/write in
> /home/$USER/Pictures and /home/$USER/Videos.
> Soon they will also need to be able to read/write in the similar
> directories of the SD card, for example:
> - /media/phablet/064a-7494/Pictures
> - /media/phablet/064a-7494/Videos
>
> I was wondering if there were any plans/ideas to make that possible in the
> near future.
> A bug report was created to track progress on it:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apparmor-easyprof-ubuntu/+bug/1391930

The functionality you are requesting here will be part of the storage
framework. Please note that we haven't picked up working on that specific
framework, yet.

However, back when we started designing the content hub, we talked about
the notion of a "ContentStore" (see [1]). It essentially contains a path to
the respective directory, .e.g, for pictures on external storage. The
content hub would then be queriable for certain types of content stores.

The interesting question is obviously the AppArmor aspect.

@Jamie: Do you think we could come up with a policy like "External Storage
Access"?

Cheers,

  Thomas