Automatic time does not work

Having selected the option to set the time automatically on my phone, it
does not appear to do this.

The clock was correct at some point. But over the last several months it
had drifted about 3 minutes off, and never corrected itself. Today I
turned my phone on and it had reset the clock to 1AM 1/1/1970. Still it
is set to automatically set the time, and yet does not correct itself.

I would expect it to update the time once a day or once per reboot or
something along those lines.

Another thing that has just appeared since the last update is that the
updates keeps showing 'Connect to the Internet to check for updates'
when it can't find any updates. The network connection is working, and
it spends a couple of seconds checking for updates, so I assume it is
correctly checking, then just displaying the wrong message.