Re: Broken connectivity and wakeup/suspend loop on krillin with RTM

On 03/15/2015 11:21 AM, Michael Zanetti wrote:

Hi,

since a week or two I notice increased instability of connectivity on
my krillin device during daily usage.

The symptoms are visible in that networking starts failing to connect.
Mostly when switching from WiFi to 3G or back. At some point it just
stops connecting to 3G or WiFi and it stops listing wireless networks
at all. Making phone calls doesn't work any more either although the
indicator suggests it would be registered to GSM.

Based on the image # you provided below, you're running RTM, correct?

I've actually been focused on networking isssues with vivid for the last few weeks now, as a new network-manager ( 0.9.10 ) had landed a few weeks back and has caused some regressions.

That said, we really need to try and address the symptoms you've described:

1. Switching from WiFi to 3g and back can trigger network connection failures.

I'm currently working on a bug that involves the mobile data connection dropping due to poor signal, or some sort of event that triggers re-connection ( eg. setting the radio technology ). I've verified that there's a NM bug which prevents the connection from being re-established for 5m in these cases:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1418077

This *could* exist in RTM, but we haven't managed to reproduce it there yet. That said, it doesn't really involve WiFi at all, so this may not be what you're experiencing.

Jean-Baptiste reported a similar bug to yours which states that when he goes out of range of his WiFi AP, the connection doesn't automatically switch from WiFi to 3g:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/1410113

Is this your scenario, or are you toggling WiFi on/off repeatedly and seeing failures? If it's the former, perhaps you can add your details to the the Jean-Baptiste's bug? If it's the latter, does it happen in both directions ( ie. only when enabling WiFi, only when disabling WiFi, or both )?

2. When this happens, making phone calls fail as well.

This means the modem's in a bad state. Does this always happen when you lose your connection? When this happens again, please run:

/usr/share/ofono/scripts/list-modems

We also have a great tool call network-test-session which is super-useful for pin-poining networking issues:

https://github.com/sergiusens/network-test-session

Also when this happens can you grab a screenshot of the network indicator? Another good thing to check is the Cellular System Settings... does it show your carrier?

I just started to examine the logs and found something suspicious in
syslog. It seems that the device was stuck in a wakeup-suspend loop
for the whole night, producing dozens of messages in syslog every
second. Interestingly the battery still survived throughout the night.

I don't think this has anything to do with the networking issues you've seen, but as it might be interesting to some of the folks on my team looking at power consumption...

I'm not too familiar with the kernel/networkmanager/powerd/ofono
things so I'm having a bit troubles to identify what's actually wrong
and for what component to report the bug.

network-manager is a good place to start for general networking issues:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+filebug

If you have an issue with telephony ( ie. not being able to make voice calls ), then ofono is a better choice:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ofono/+filebug

Also, don't hestiate to ping me or Alfonso directly on IRC.

Here's the syslog from last
night:

http://notyetthere.org/data/syslog.wakeuploop

Some more things I tried:
* enabling/disabling flight mode doesn't seem to help. The indicator
claims to reregister to GSM after I enter the SIM PIN, but still
doesn't fix the fact that phone calls can't be done or any data
connection fails.

The fact that you were prompted to enter your PIN means this isn't a problem with FlightMode being cleared properly as ofono clearly understood that your SIM was PIN-locked, and you were prompted. That said, there's a bug reported against unity8 where it appears that you've unlocked your SIM, but in reality it's still locked. You might want to check the indicator again after unlocking and ensure that the SIM is indeed unlocked:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity8/+bug/1426876

* rfkill looks ok (nothing blocked) afaict

Are you talking about the binary 'rfkill' command? If so, please realize that we use a daemon called urfkilld to monitor radio kill switches. This is because not all devices use the kernel rfkill mechanism ( eg. ofono, WiFi on krillin, ... ). We ship several scripts that can be used to probe urfkill's state in /usr/share/urfkill/scripts. 'enumerator' and 'flight-mode' are the two most useful.

* the device seems to behave ok otherwise (no spinning processes and
the UI is smooth)
* The device is updated to the latest image (r21) but I noticed this
behaviour with the previous update already.
* I remember that I received a phone call yesterday evening. That was
working fine still. Next time I checked (some hours later),
connectivity was gone but I didn't have time to investigate yesterday
night.

Anyone has an idea what this might be, or could tell me what component
I should file a bug for? I think I can reliably reproduce this when
not rebooting the phone for a couple of days and using it normally for
a while.

Please let me know if you still have questions. Right now, trying to isolate the exact scenario(s) is the most important piece of this.

Finally, in bugs you comment on and/or report, please indicate how many SIMs you're using, whether any of them are unusual ( ie. MVNO SIMs ) and/or PIN locked.

Regards,
/tony