Re: using a different build for devel images

On Thu, 2015-03-19 at 11:56 +0000, John Lenton wrote:
> I'd like to have the push client on devel images use go's race
> detector. This has performance implications, so it would be disabled
> for non-devel. Is there an easy way of doing that?
>
> Additionally, I'd like to have debug logs in devel, and just info logs
> out of that. Is there a way of doing that too?

Maintain different branches for vivid and rtm, with the vivid image
having the debug and go race detection enabled. You'd then need to
branch off for vivid once we get to the point of making that the
"stable" image, and disable the debug stuff in that branch. You could
keep the debug stuff in trunk for future devel releases, and disable it
in a new stable branch every time we end up pushing the new release to
the stable channels.

You can do this by having the debug bits enabled in a config file
(though I suppose the race checking is a compile time thing), and use
some metric like "odd minor version numbers == debug enabled" similar to
what we used to do in ubuntuone-client, during configure stage of
building the code. You can then use that to either have debug enabled in
the config file, or not, and to build with race checking or not. Then
just maintain the version number in a way that supports that metric for
your needs.