ANNOUNCEMENT: New Train Feature

Hi all,

Just wanted to point out that CI Train has grown a new feature that
will hopefully reduce wasted man-hours:

In the event that there are multiple silos containing the same
packages (which we call "conflicting silos"), and one of those silos
gets published, the other silos will now be marked as 'dirty',
indicating that the silo needs to be rebuilt.

The 'dirty' status will appear in both the spreadsheet and the
dashboard, and it will look like "SILO DIRTY: You must rebuild: foo,
bar, grill".

Rebuilds have always been required in this case, because if you were
to publish a dirty silo without rebuilding, it would effectively
revert the changes made by the other silo that published first. The
difference now is that you can actually see which silos are dirty as
soon as they become dirty, rather than having a nasty surprise at
publish-time.

This is an important change because recently I've seen a number of
cases where a silo was dirty, but it went for QA anyway, QA spent many
hours verifying the silo, and then I published the silo only to
discover it had been dirty all along and all the QA effort was wasted.

So, QA people, if you see a silo marked 'SILO DIRTY', stop QA'ing it!
it's a total and complete waste of your time to even look at a dirty
silo.

Once a dirty silo is rebuilt, then the lander can resubmit it for QA.

I hope people find this helpful! If you find any issues (with this
feature or with the train in general), please file bugs against
lp:cupstream2distro and assign them directly to me ('robru' on
launchpad and IRC).

Follow ups