Themes on the phone

Hi all,

right now the theme on the phone is located in /usr/share/ubuntu-html5-ui-toolkit/0.1/ambiance the documentation shows how to create HTML5 apps that reference this directly
https://developer.ubuntu.com/en/apps/html-5/guides/html5-guide/

<!-- Ubuntu UI Style imports - Ambiance theme -->
<link href="/usr/share/ubuntu-html5-ui-toolkit/0.1/ambiance/css/appTemplate.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Apparently it is now best practice to scoop this up and pop it in the click package of the application rather than reference it from the file system, either way, your application is locked for all time to version 0.1 of Ambiance. If the phone grows some UI for changing the theme then some core apps might change but your HTML5 apps won't pick up the changes because they are still pointing at the old theme. If you change to a high contrast large font accessible theme then your applications won't change. We can't develop new themes as click packages and get the whole system to respect the theme, each application will do it's own thing.

Is this the actual design intention? We are locked forever into the aesthetic preferences of the design team?

I was kind of hoping that remote web applications could reference the theme assets of the device through some kind of Sass include, so I could write something like an admin module for Wordpress or Joomla or Vtiger or Odoo or Alfresco so that when you log on to your instance of this software on your Ubuntu server from your Ubuntu phone everything looks as native as the dialler, flip the theme on your phone and all your open source remote web apps respect that theme change. It now seems that there is, and will be, no theme changing on the phone, which is a bit odd, I was expecting to do something like <link href="http://localhost/ubuntutheme.css";> to pick up a Sass or less compiled stylesheet that reflected the currently selected theme of the device.

Alan.

Follow ups